1505 Crane Ct, Midland, MI
Designed by Alden B. Dow, FAIA, in 1938 as an educational structure, it was converted to a residence for Kenneth Bryce in 1943.
The Parents’ and Children’s Schoolhouse on Crane Court was designed by Alden B. Dow in 1938. It was designed to provide a facility for the school and as an exercise in designing and building affordable contemporary housing. It was singled out in a 1941 article in Architectural Forum for its modest price ($4,551 including land), construction efficiency, and attractive design. The low horizontal lines, its flat roof, and the stucco walls made the house look very modern.
The onset of World War II found teachers leaving Midland as their husbands were drafted into the armed forces. Mr. Dow relocated to Texas to build Lake Jackson and house the influx of workers at the Dow Chemical plant; Mrs. Dow would soon follow him with the children in 1943. The School never resumed operating after the war. However, the Parents’ and Children’s Schoolhouse on Crane Court was readapted with some alterations for use as a home. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1996.