Charles Blacklock spent his youth in Elberta, Michigan and graduated from Elberta High school as valedictorian of his class in 1941.
Upon graduation, he served as a fighter pilot in the U.S. Air Force during W.W. II. After the war, he attended the University of Michigan School of Architecture and graduated in 1958. After graduation he established the Blacklock and Schwartz architecture firm in Midland with Robert Schwartz AIA. In 1970, he joined the Alden B. Dow Associates firm.