Mid-Century Modern Midland features the Residential Work of
Jack P. Feagley
Sunday, August 19, 2018
Advanced ticket sales only. You will not be able to purchase the day of the event.
Please join MCMM on Sunday, August 19, 2018 from 1-3pm, for self-guided tours, featuring two of Mr. Feagley’s residential designs. The tour includes both the Mr. and Mrs. Reinke Residence-1941, located at 33 Lexington Court Midland, MI 48642 and the Mr. and Mrs. Eugene Winters Residence-1961, Located at 4210 Andre St. Midland, MI 48642 (Guest to provide own transportation to homes)
Jack P. Feagley Biography:
Jack P. Feagley was born in 1930 in Phillipsburg, New Jersey and lived most of his childhood in Easton,
Pennsylvania, where he attended grade school and middle school. He attended Billard Naval Academy in New London, Connecticut and was the art editor for his year book. He had an appointment to the U.S. Naval Academy Annapolis, but was unable to go because he was color blind.
Jack then turned to another passion and pursued becoming an architect. He applied and was accepted to Penn State in 1950. While attending Penn State, Jack competed against 59 other contestants and won a competition sponsored by the Beaux Arts Institute of Design, to design a newspaper plant.
After graduating college in 1954, Jack went into the service and spent three years in Washington D.C. in the Corps of Engineers while simultaneously working for architect Hugh Moore Jr. so he could complete his commitment to take the boards in architecture. In January of 1957 he passed his exam and officially became a registered architect. By getting his registration in Washington D.C., through reciprocity, he could practice in any state in the country.
Together with his wife Doris and their young, growing family, Jack came to Midland in 1957 to work for architect Francis “Red” Warner and stayed at his firm until 1962. He designed several houses in Midland and the greater Mid-Michigan area. He then began working for Alden B. Dow Associates, Inc. and continued there for the next 21 years. During his time at the firm he researched and specified the materials for structures. In addition to being lead designer for projects like the Chemical Bank in Saginaw, he became the Chief Specifications Writer for the firm. Jack served the American Institute of Architecture – Saginaw Valley Chapter as Secretary 1969, Vice President 1970, President 1971 and Past President 1972.