401 S. Saginaw, Midland, MI
Designed by Alden B. Dow FAIA in 1961.
When officials of the downtown Midland National Bank, designed by Alden B. Dow in 1947, decided to add a drive-in branch at Ashman Circle in 1961, they turned once again to Mr. Dow. Working drawings were prepared in early February and a contract was signed on March 12, 1962 with Gregory Construction Company of Bay City for its general construction bid of $116,088.
The single story structure has brick walls accentuated by rectangular cast stone dentils just under the projecting roofline. A band of clerestory windows is set between the lower roofline of the main building and the upper roofline that extends over three drive-up windows on the north side and a fourth drive-up window on the south side. A raised concrete-faced planting box is set in front of a large window that faces the street.
The lobby included eight teller stations, three free-standing desks in the center of the space for customers to fill out transaction slips, three private loan offices, and a large work room. Natural finish white oak topped with plastic laminate was used for the teller stations. Filing and storage cabinets were purchased from Steelcase; sofas and chairs were furnished by Knoll. A two-day open house was held for the public on December 14 and 15, 1962.
The building currently houses Frankenmuth Credit Union and, although renovated in 2018, still retains some of the original exterior design.