1910 West St. Andrews, Midland, MI
Designed by Alden B. Dow in 1967
“The nearness of this laboratory to the Midland Center for the Arts, the Municipal Library and the Dow Gardens should add to the stimulus resulting from the close relationship of science and art. The attempt here is to show that every art has a science and every science an art. Art is feeling … science is fact.”
The building is composed around a central research library from which 13 laboratories and 14 offices radiate. The laboratories connect with each other and all have a large floor to ceiling window in the corner that gives the scientists a view of the wooded surroundings outside. Other areas include a large lecture hall, seminar room, computer room, recreation room/cafeteria, and even a four-room apartment for a visiting scientist. The free relationship of the parts of the building to each other, Mr. Dow believed, would make it a stimulating place for discoveries.