1100 Washington, Midland, MI
Designed by Alden B. Dow FAIA in 1955.
The preliminary drawings for a service building for the Consumers Power Company at Washington and Second streets in Midland were completed in September 1955. Specifications and working drawings were sent to prospective bidders in July 1956. Collinson Construction Company of Midland was selected as general contractor for its bid of $664,400.
The 33,000 square foot structure had a flat bi-level roof that projected slightly over low brick walls. A wide porcelain enamel frieze encircled the building at the roof line. Nearly the entire front façade was made of tall plate glass windows with a set of entrance doors at each end.
Features of the new Center included radio dispatch rooms for both the electric and gas service fleets; an appliance repair room; a drive-up cashier’s window; engineering, accounting and other offices for the company’s 97 Midland employees, and even a large customer room for meetings with area homemakers. A large garage, utility pole and pipe storage areas, and space for service vehicle loading and parking were located behind the main building.
An open house for the public took place October 3-5, 1957 and included special displays of models of a steam-electric generating plant and an atomic power plant.