Clarence “Doc” Waters was born and raised in Saginaw Michigan, graduating from Arthur Hill High School and the University of Michigan School and Architecture and Design. Waters passed his architectural board examinations in 1954 and worked for Swanson Associates of Bloomfield Hills and was an assistant architectural project engineer with the New York Central Railroad. He returned home to Saginaw in 1955 to partner with David Oeming. Mr. Waters was a member of Saginaw Architects Collaborative which designed the downtown master redevelopment plan for Saginaw. He also partnered with Glenn “Red” Beach starting in 1963.